Thursday, August 2, 2012

New Journey, New Season

    I am on a new journey this summer, working on my vocals. I am excited and have the best coach, so encouraging, really getting my voice to its full potential. I have always loved music, especially singing. When I was younger I wanted to be a country singer and once I was saved that changed to wanting to be a Christian artist.
     Most of my life has revolved around singing, whether it was in High School or church. I wasn’t that guy who had all the solos or anything like that; I preferred to stay in the back, out of the spotlight. There were a few times I remember in High School I wanted to try out for a solo part, but shrank back and decided not to, walking home later that day and regretting that I didn't, but I couldn’t find the courage to sing in front of all my peers. I have never really been "trained" in this gifting, but I have an ear to hear the notes, whether it was to the piano or music tracks.
      After High School I joined the choir at my church for about a year, then quit and didn’t start back up again till about 7 years later. One Wednesday night I was sitting in service worshiping and having a good time, after service this random lady sitting behind me came up and asked if I was a signer or in music and I said no, but I use to be. She went on to say that I need to get back into doing it. That lit a fire in me again for music. God has continued to encourage me in this area every time I step away. I'm thankful.
      It was a few years later, my wife (BFF at the time) and I joined a new church, smaller church. I wanted to get involved but didn't know where. God spoke to my wife and I separately about the same thing, when we confront each other about what God said to each of us it was the same. So, I tried out for the worship team. The day of my audition I was really nervous, but thankfully made the team. It was a fun season and God led us to move on eventually. The experience solidified my passion for singing. I knew that's where I belonged.
      Not knowing where to go or how to train God gave my wife several dreams about me singing, then another about me taking summer vocal lessons. So I searched and searched schools near my area online and found one. The pieces came together. God seriously gave me the best coach, she really pays attention to my voice and what works best for it. My range has grown since I started 2 months ago and I am feeling more confident.
     I am very humbled by her words of encouragement. Last night my coach and I were talking about writing music (something I always wanted to do). I have a journal w/ one full song and then a bunch of lyrics here and there that I got while worshiping in my prayer closet. We are going to take those and put music and a melody to it. I have no idea where God is going to take me w/ this, but God has shown me this is my purpose and destiny, so I trust Him to take to where I need to be!

2 comments:

Daylight said...

I'm excited for you!

Daylight said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.